Reliable iPad navigation becomes more of a realization with the new Maxsea Timezero iPad. The interface is smooth and intuitive and the charts are reasonable priced for specific regions. By far, this is the best marine navigation app for the ipad right now. If you were thinking about using the iPad for navigation, now is the time!
Enjoy a stroll thru the Cordova harbor and learn about the various fisheries that support the local fishermen. Cordova is a great example of a small town that knows how to market seafood. The Copper River Reds, label is easily one of the most recognizable salmon brands in all of Alaska. Check out exploringthechugach on Youtube for other interesting videos about Cordova and it surrounding beauty.
- Alaska Symphony of Seafood top honors go to CRS (thecordovatimes.com)
- Ice Worm Festival of Cordova, Alaska (sunshineinthecountry.wordpress.com)
- 2012 West Coast Commercial Fishing Year In Review Part 1 (juneautek.com)
I knew I recognized this boat from somewhere. Eddie Hayes has delivered a few sick video edits from the decks of this vessel. Check out the video of the day for a preview.
- Commercial Fishing Video Of The Day | Leviathan Trailer (juneautek.com)
- Commercial Fishing Video Of the Day | F/V Infinite Glory | Sitka Herring 2008 (juneautek.com)
- Commercial Fishing Photo Of The Day | F/V Infinite Glory | Sitka Herring 2008 (juneautek.com)
- Commercial Fishing Photo Of The Day | F/V Harvestor | Hidden Falls 2007 (juneautek.com)
The Jean D is one of the true living legends of the commercial salmon seining fleet. Each season the boat is hand painted, with brushes alone, to ensure that the beauty and history of the commercial fishing fleet is never forgotten.
- Crew Spotlight | Jay Fisher | “The Fish Whisperer” (juneautek.com)
- Fish Tech | What To See At Pacific Marine Expo 2012 (juneautek.com)
Change is something that fishermen rarely like to deal with. Yet, one of the most time honored and classic elements of commercial fishing is changing. Yes, the XtraTuf II is here! Muck boots, known for their comfort, have teamed up with the classic XtraTuf to offer more stability and a better overall feel. The ironic part of that the XtraTuf website mentions nothing of these. The boots were on display at the Pacific Marine Expo and the added stability was very noticeable. To anyone that has ever rolled their ankle in a pair of XtraTufs, you will appreciate the new design. So, where can you find a pair of these fancy new icons of the fishing world. LFS Marine has these babies ready for preorder (here) on their website. The only problem is that the boots won’t be available until the end of July! Come on, XtraTuf! This does not seem very thought thru. Well, whenever they get here, will fishermen even use them? What do you think?
Introducing Xtratuf II, the next-generation Xtratuf boot – The Xtratuf proven no-slip sole on the outside and the MUCK Boot™ comfort and warmth on the inside. Feel your best even when the weather’s at its worst.
• Oil resistant rubber
• 5mm CR foam bootie is lightweight and flexible
• Airmesh lining for air circulation
• X-Stabilizer for additional lateral support at foot and ankle
• 100% waterproof
• Supportive heel counters reduce heel slippage and provide form-fitting comfort
• Removable 6mm NITRACEL™ EVA insole for additional support and slipper-soft molded comfort in the footbed
- Commercial Fishing Viewpoints | F/V Boulder Bay (juneautek.com)
- A Commercial Fishing Family’s Worst Nightmare. (commercialfishingmom.com)
- Feds form group for major fishing cut (myfoxboston.com)
- Get In Gear | F/V Halcyon Goes Bulbous. (juneautek.com)
- Get In Gear | Spring Fever Photo Contest (juneautek.com)
- Fish Tech | Furuno Navnet TZTouch (juneautek.com)
- Fishtory | Southeast Alaska and Herring (juneautek.com)
The approach of the campaign is new, too, focused on the workers who help bring Red Lobster’s fare to its customers. The initial two commercials — as well as content on substantially redesigned versions of the Red Lobster Web site, redlobster.com, and Facebook fan page,facebook.com/RedLobster — feature Jon Forsythe, who fishes for crabs in Alaska, and Charles Himple, who presides over the oak-wood grill at the Red Lobster restaurant in the Bronx.
- Analysis: Why Do People Like Red Lobster Promos So Much? (blogs.forbes.com)
- Red Lobster: We Sea Food Differently (adrants.com)
- Advertising: Red Lobster Campaign to Showcase Some of Its Own Workers (nytimes.com)
- Citigroup Loves Red Lobster (DRI, HAIN) (businessinsider.com)
- Ways To Have Red Lobster Quality Seafood At Your Home (thediamondringreview.com)
King crab season drops in less than 24 hours. The weather looks like it will be a nice start for the fishermen. This year is likely to garner the highest price ever for the limited catch. Good luck out there.
- VIDEO: Tagging system to fight ‘fake’ crabs (bbc.co.uk)
- Alaska, Washington in fishing-fleet tug of war (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Alaska (fishcookeat.wordpress.com)
- Series: Deadliest Catch, Season 2 (learntodivetoday.wordpress.com)
- The Hunt for the Deadliest Catch Continues | LIVE Dockcam (juneautek.wordpress.com)
Dutch Harbor is full of crab boats gearing up for the season, which starts on October 15th. The quota has been cut nearly 50 percent, but the savoir of the season is the increased blue crab quota and the strong yen. Fresh crab should be arriving in stores by November. In the meantime, check out the new webcam from the docks in Dutch Harbor. I have also included the ADFG release for the fishery.
- Giant Red Crab Invades Antarctic, Threatens Entire Ecosystem (inquisitr.com)
- Crab fishery reopens, but it’s not expected to be as good as the banner summer season (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- We’re Talking Crabs – part 1 (charioteers.org)