The Sitka Herring Sac Roe Fishery has produced some incredible headlines since the record breaking harvests in 2008. In the years since, The Shady Lady rolled over in 2010 after an intense collision that occurred earlier that same day. Then, in 2011, the Infinite Grace nearly sank because of broken rigging. The close quarters fishery has it fair share if collisions. However, no fisherman in his right mind would go looking for a collision. In 2011, a collision between the Arctic Fox and the Talia landed the boat owners in court. Here is the rest of the story. I believe this is the video of the actual collision. After the media, Deckboss shares the court details.
As you will see, authorities had the benefit of audio and video recordings to make the case against Crome.
One wonders whether it’s time for changes at Sitka, to bring a bit more decorum into the fishery. And to reduce chances for a real tragedy.
- Salmon Seining Hits Primetime! (juneautek.com)
- The “Superbowl of Seining” Hits TLC Primetime. (juneautek.com)
- Sitka Herring Update | Massive Upcoming Quota (juneautek.com)
- Sitka Herring Update | AFDG News Releases (juneautek.com)
- 2011 West Coast Commercial Fishing Year in Review | Part I (juneautek.com)